Tuesday, July 15, 2008

TMI with the new bull




Here's a story I prefer to forget.


Heath got home Sunday afternoon and that night we had to go to the farm to provide medical care for the new bull calf. He had pink-eye. So we get out there and Heath and Granny herd him into the chamber (stall, aisle, whatever) and block him so they care treat the eye. As Heath is standing behind him, Granny yells to Heath, "Hey Heath! Why don't you grab the bull's testicles and see what you think?"


What the crap?!? Are you kidding me? She wants my husband to reach around and grab a bull's what? Omigosh! I'm just ready to be that immersed in the farm life.


But guess what Heath does--he grabs 'em! Then they start discussing the size. Is is mote comparable to a walnut or a pecan? Holy cow!


So as I'm totally disgusted with this idea, Granny explains to me that they get more at market for a steer than a bull and they are trying to decide how to castrate him. I don't have a picture of him yet but I'll get one soon. He's a pretty brown color while the other are black; all the others are angus.


As long as I don't have to do any touching, I guess I'm OK with everything. I've adjusted to them enough that I will take them their food and I try to hand feed them bread but they aren't familiar with me yet.


I've named a few of them too! The new bull is Captain-he has a patch over his right eye like a pirate. There is one cow that has a little Brahma in her and she has TONS of wrinkles around her neck so that reminded me of a great-grandma. I named her Vera (pictured above). And then I named one Clara just because she was easy to identify-she was the only white-faced cow in the bunch. Until we got the second load and now there are about 8 with white on the face. So I don't recognize her anymore. And then we have Sassy. She is the youngest and smallest of the group and she is quite the misfit. All attitude! There are a few with easy characteristics-Horns, Whiskers, etc. but they are still very shy.


Isn't life on the farm grand!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited your blogging!! I think you'll actually enjoy it...beware though it becomes addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging! I look forward to hearing more about you and your growing family!
    p.s. I am adding you to ny blog roll, if that is ok!

    ReplyDelete