Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Little Blessing

I know I've bragged about Luke plenty of times but this is probably my favorite thing about this age-his love for books. I'm not kidding you-we read between 20 and 30 books a day! I treasure these moments and look forward to them (most of the time). This picture was taken today of us reading "God Loves You" from the Betits. It's a fave and I've got it memorized and will have to reinforce the binding before the pages fall apart. These pictures are of Luke's collection of books. What's great about this age is that I can read a book while sitting (you fill in the blanks-at the laptop, eating my cereal, peeing, whatever), finish reading, tell him to go get another book, and I get a few seconds to do whatever I need.
The really cute thing is that Luke will "read" with me. We have a few books that he can fill in the last word. For example-"Five little ducks went swimming one day, over the pond and far away. Momma duck says, (and Luke fills in the blanks) "quack, quack, quack." The other book he finishes is called Just Like Daddy by Cecilia Johansson. Luke finishes the sentence with "Just like...(from Luke) da."

Current favorites are:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and Sitting in a Tree
Double the Ducks (math..YEA! just for Sheryl!)
Thank You, God
Ten in the Bed
There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly
Just Like Daddy
Five Little Ducks
Wiggle Waggle
Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What do you See?
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you Hear?
Good Night, Little One
But I bet you aren't able to see the problem in this like I do. I have a compulsion. It's in my DNA. I'm a collector. For books. I love to buy books for this little guy. I've noticed that his favorites all have rhythm and rhyme or can be sang to a simple tune. So that's what I look for while browsing the shelves. If Luke is with me, I try out the books and wait to see his reaction-if he is interested, I'll probably purchase it. If he's pulling other books off the shelves, it's a no go.

1 comment:

  1. You come by the book collecting naturally - look at your Dad! Nancy

    ReplyDelete