Luke has finally decided to talk...using words! Seriously, he is trying at least a new word every day. It's so exciting to hear him experiment with all phonemes. He's really trying to put the onsets and rimes together (beginning and end sounds for those non-literacy people). So here is a list of words that are officially common to Luke's vocabulary:
Momma, Daddee (or Da), bozi (paci), milk, uws (juice), Nana, Papaw, Gigi, odger (Dodger), ammee (Sammy), og (dog), wad-er (water), yo for Yo Gabba Gabba, Blue's Clues (but you have to hold your mouth at a tight angle to get the sound out with a slight whistle to pronounce it like Luke), duck, trac-tew (tractor), ball, ible (Bible), puzzzzzel (puzzle with a long drawn out /z/), All (all done), pop ta (pop tart), yea (yes), no, peas (please), ank ew (thank you), By-ee (bye), Hhhhiiii that's sort of high pitched like his mommy greets him with every morning...
I guess I could even say that he said his first official sentence tonight because all of his other attempts to talk I could only get one word amongst his jabbering. Tonight, we were putting together a floor puzzle and I said, "Yea! The puzzle is all done! Puzzle all done." And he repeated me by saying "Puzzzzel all do." Of course I celebrated and clapped, cheered, tickled his belly and kissed his cheek. I know, a little much for something so small but all of his other attempts had only one clear word--SERIOUSLY!
There has been one other incident where Luke was talking and I could identify two words in the same sentence but not enough to determine what he was talking about-because you know MY child isn't going to talk in sentences but stories. I picked him up from the sitter's last week and asked if he had a good day. He said yes and then babbled. I asked what he did that day and he replied with "Ne-Ne (Renee) mmmmmmmmblllloooooofffffff water rrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeffffnnnnncllwhea." Renee came from the kitchen and said that she was outside with her water hose earlier in the afternoon rinsing off a rug and all the kids were standing at the sliding glass door watching her. So you can guess that Luke was trying to tell me that Ne-ne was outside spraying water on her rug. But of course, that is still only a guess.
And he knows the sounds of so many animals-duck, chicken, chicks, goose, pig, horse, cow, dog, Sammy (he howls because he's a beagle mutt), sheep, monkey, elephant, we are working on getting the rooster and donkey consistently. He thinks the hooting of an owl is really funny and likes to make that sound once I remind him.
Beyond talking, Luke is picking up a lot of big-boy behaviors. Sometimes I forget how observant Luke is and realize too late that he is mimicking my behavior. For example, I love to listen to audiobooks in the car and my school librarian (AWESOME Melissa) lends me books on CD. Luke has learned how to open the case, pull out a CD and he tries to insert it into the CD player when the car is turned off. He also quickly discovered where the garage door button was kept in the car and potentially could have locked me out of the house had I not been unloading groceries from the trunk when he pushed the button to lower the garage door! He also wants to clean floors when I have the Swifer out so I took our old swifer broom and took out two pieces so his broom is HIS size. He loves to help Momma clean the floors. And don't forget the classic behavior that he learned from Daddy-spitting in the trash can (in case you don't know, Heath uses tobacco and spits his nastiness in the trash can or sink). He's done this twice now so Momma is pretty hot about it-at least my habit isn't so disgusting (I get an Icee/Slurpee a day).
It's absolutely amazing what this child has learned and picked up on from observing so many people.
No comments:
Post a Comment